Enter the magical world of Telara and experience an unprecedented class system and dynamic, open-world battles on a massive scale. Battle alongside your fellow Ascended, take on the souls of legends, and fulfill your heroic calling. Released by Trion Worlds in early 2011, Rift takes place in the world of Telara where players take on the personality of an "Ascended." Two competing factions of Ascended, the Guardians and the Defiant, battle through the monsters of Telara in an effort to bring down Regulos, a dragon god bent on the complete destruction of Telara.
One of Rift's most compelling features is the Ascended Class System. Players begin by choosing one of four callings: Warrior, Mage, Rogue or Cleric. During the course of the game, players increase in strength and can "attune" their callings and mix and match "souls," or sub-classes, to become more specialized and flexible.
Rift Key Features:
- Dynamic Gameplay: play on large maps that generate Rifts, which players must close by working together.
- Massive Amount of Content: seriously, there is a ton of content available for players to slog through, it's pretty amazing.
- Great Character Creation: choose from many options for hairstyles, eye color, height, etc.
- Load Out: extensive customization options, along with two skill trees (one class-dependent, one character-dependent).
- No Money Necessary: truly an MMO that is free-to-play.